Taser death family break silence to demand answers

Brazilian tourist Roberto Laudisio Curti died after being shocked by a police Taser. His family are demanding answers into the death of Roberto Laudisio Curti.


That’s the question the family of a Brazilian student who died after being Tasered by police in Sydney want answered.

The family of Roberto Laudisio Curti, 21, who died on Pitt Street early in the morning of March 18, have spoken to Australian media for the first time about their grief and to call for an explanation.

“Robert was chased by six policemen. They didn’t catch him so … they sprayed capsicum and not enough? Taser him three times. Why?” his uncle, Domingos Laudisio, said on ABC’s 7.30 last night.

“Six cops versus a boy, six cops chasing him, easy catch.

“We don’t know the names of the six cops who chased him. We don’t know the names of the cops who Tasered him.”

Mr Laudisio, who was speaking from Brazil, said he hoped the investigation into his nephew’s death would be transparent.

The matter is expected to be the focus of a coronial inquest held by the state coroner in October.

“I expect everybody who’s going to deal with this incident with Roberto to demonstrate that they can be trusted, to demonstrate that they have integrity and to demonstrate that they are fair. That’s what I expect.”

His cousin, Eduardo Laudisio, said his death had been difficult to cope with.

“I really think it’s a tragedy in my life. Actually my first tragedy.

“And I think I have just to keep going. I think he didn’t deserve it.

“He was like … my brother because unfortunately he lost his parents early, so we got so close.

“And because of this, almost everything we did together in our lives.”

Some of Mr Curti’s Australian friends also spoke of their confusion over his death.

His soccer coach Franco Polistina said he was angry about reports Mr Curti had been on some kind of bender in the days before his death.

Mr Curti had played hours of soccer the day before his death.

“[He] didn’t show any signs of being … hungover or on anything. He didn’t show any of those sorts of signs.”

His boss at Balmain’s Little Darling Diner, Nour Atalla, said he didn’t appear to be partying any harder than the average 21-year-old.

“This kid was fit, he was a soccer player, he was fit.

“For him to go down, there has to be something wrong with these Taser systems – too much voltage or something.

“They have to really look at it and really try and study what happened here.”

The family first spoke out in the days after Mr Curti’s death, with his godmother Patricia Laudisio telling Brazilian media: “They took the life of a person who had a brilliant future ahead of him.”


This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 苏州美甲美睫培训.